Catching Up on Two Weeks


Sorry, I’m trying to catch up here, and I’ve got a fair bit of homework, so I’m just gonna copy and paste the past two e-mails from Priel. Thanks!

From 9/22

Hello Everyone!

To start off, we got transfer calls on Saturday, and Sister Pitkin and I are both staying in the area! I am super excited. It’s weird to think that by the end of this transfer I will have been in this area for 6 months. I remember when I first came into this area I was so freaked out and I didn’t want to be here at all. Now I love it and I don’t ever want to leave it!

On Monday, Sister Pitkin and I both got haircuts! One the members of the bishopric in one of our wards owns a hair school, and he is very good at cutting hair, and he cuts missionary’s hair for free! My hair actually looks good now, which makes me happy. We weren’t able to get any lessons in on Monday because no one was home. Or they were, but they were just hiding from us.

On Tuesday, we visited Sister Slay. She was in a really good mood because things are finally starting to work out in her and her son’s lives. We shared a scripture with her about the power of prayer, which she enjoyed. We also visited the Higgs, who are in the Married Student Ward. They are less-active. I’ve never seen them at church the whole time I’ve been here, and we’ve never been able to catch them at home. We were finally able to meet both of them, and we got to know them better. It was a good visit, and I hope that we’ll be able to talk to them more often, and hopefully get them to come back to church.

On Wednesday, we had the Sister’s Training Conference, which was super amazing! President Winder talked to us about the priesthood and I feel like I understand the priesthood better now. It was a really good meeting, and I really feel spiritually uplifted because of it.

We also visited the Workman’s in the Married Student Ward. We had a really good visit with them. They’ve started to come to church more often, which is amazing! We’ve been able to establish a good friendship with them this past transfer.

On Thursday, we visited Trish, and we continued to talk with her about scripture study. She says that she’s trying to get her sons to read the Book of Mormon to see if they’re interested in taking the discussions. She’s had to go through a lot with her family in the past couple of weeks, and she feels like the LDS church is what will help her sons out in the long run.

We also went on splits with the ward missionaries that night. It was a good night! We were able to visit with this less-active man who just moved into the ward. He is originally from Germany. He has a testimony of the gospel, but he’s gotten back into his smoking addiction, so I think that is the main reason why he hasn’t been coming to church. We’ll continue to stop by to see how we can help him.

On Friday we visited Lavonne. She’s been in a bad mood the past couple of weeks, because the year mark of her husband’s death is coming up. She did say that she considers herself agnostic now, rather than atheist, so that’s a little bit of progress! We also visited Sister Slay and her son again, because we felt prompted to. I have no idea why we were prompted to, because everything was fine with them, but I’m glad that we followed the prompting. We also visited one of the families in the ward that day. The whole family except for the mom is active. We shared a Mormon Message with them, and she definitely felt the spirit. Hopefully we can develop a good relationship with her so that she can trust us to tell us why she is not coming to church.

On Saturday, we knocked on doors of less-actives pretty much all day with no results. We also visited Ms. Padgette with a member of the bishopric. She is doing well. She finally has only good people living with her, and not the unsavory ones that kept giving me the creeps. It made me happy to know that she has finally learned to only let good people live in her house.

Saturday night was a BSU football game. I’ve never seen so much school spirit in one place in my entire life. EVERYONE here is a BSU fan, I’m not kidding. It’s starting to rub off on me, because I’m starting to associate myself with BSU, like saying, “Oh, how did we do in the game last night?” I’ll probably be wearing blue and orange all the time pretty soon.

On Sunday night was a little bit frustrating but we were finally able to do something at the end! We tried to contact former investigators, and people were just rude to us and slam the door in our faces. We tried to visit some less actives instead, and we were able to get an appoitment to visit a less active/ part member family!  We also visited Heather. She is a returned missionary, but she doesn’t come to church because she has to work every Sunday. She is a really cool person. We had a really enjoyable visit with her!

I hope you are all doing well! Love you!

Love, Sister Bawden

PS: The pictures are of my haircut, and the craziness in downtown around gametime.

IMG_1151 IMG_1180 IMG_1177

From 9/29

Hello fellow humans!

This is what has happened this past week:

On Monday we went to an FHE activity in the Married Student Ward. There was a World War II veteran speaking about being in the infantry in France. He was actually a POW, and it was really neat to hear about his experiences. It really makes me appreciate those in the armed forces a lot more because I know that they are literally fighting for our freedom.

On Tuesday I woke up not feeling too well, but I decided to go out and work anyway. We went to district meeting, but after district meeting, I felt too sick to do anything else. I was a little feverish and I was achy everywhere, so I assume that I had the flu. I slept most of the day, and ended up feeling a lot better the next day. I’m going to invest in some vitamins so that I quit getting sick so much.

On Wednesday we tried to visit a lot of people, but no one was home. We did have dinner with a family where the father is less active, so we were able to get a lesson in because of that.

Thursday was a really productive day. We visited Trish in the morning. We invited her to the General Women’s Meeting, but she ended up not being able to come. But we had an enjoyable visit with her, and she said that she is going to try to talk to her sons more about coming to church. We also visited Doris, a less active lady. We have been trying to meet with her for a long time, and we were finally able to catch her at home! We had a good visit with her, and talked to her about building a solid foundation on Christ. We also visited the Cornwalls, just to see how they’re doing. They are doing well, and Jack is doing well.

We went to the ARP meeting that night because a less active wanted to go with us, but she never showed up. After the meeting we went to visit a less active woman in the Married Student Ward. Her husband is very active, and he said that she was ok with us visiting. When we got to their house, it was very obvious that they were home, but not answering. We left feeling very frustrated. I wish that people would just be honest and tell us that they are not interested, so that we don’t waste their time or ours. I felt pretty depressed that night when we went home, and I started to feel like I wasn’t doing a good enough job as a missionary.

On Friday, we visited Lavonne. She was in a bad mood… again. I’m beginning to wonder if she is ever in a good mood! But she started to tell us about how she is trying to find a purpose in life, and is wondering where she needs to go. We told her that the gospel is a simple solution for that, and that it tells us where we came from, why we are here, and where we are going. She kind of blew us off and said that religion isn’t something that she’s at all interested in.

We also visited Trina. She told us that her teenage children have been having some problems with chastity, and she needed some advice on how to talk to them about it. We gave her a chastity pamphlet and a For the Strength of Youth pamphlet, and gave her some advice on what to say. We sang “Nearer My God to Thee” for her, since she can feel the spirit more through hymns. It was a pretty good visit.

On Saturday we visited Tiffany because we haven’t heard from her in a while, so we were worried about her. She’s had a really rough week. Her doctor put her on some new medication, and she had a bad reaction to it, so she ended up in the hospital with severe pain. The next day after she got out of the hospital, she slipped while she was in a shop, and sprained her ankle. So she’s had a really rough week! She told us that she would call us to set up an appointment to meet with us again when she’s feeling better. We also visited Sister Rambo. She is a less active woman in her 80’s. She is really lonely because her husband passed away a couple of years ago, and she doesn’t get visits from people very often. We decided that we will visit her at least every other week.

We went to the General Women’s Meeting broadcast that night. It was really good! I loved it a lot. President Uchtdorf said things that I really needed to hear. He said that God is showering blessings on us continuously, but our sin and pride are like an umbrella that keep us from getting the blessings.

After the broadcast, we visited Matt and Amanda. We had a really good visit with them. Matt told us that he is trying to do more missionary work, which shows that he still has a testimony of the gospel. We are going to start talking to them more about going to the temple, since Amanda has been a member for a year in October. They need to start working towards the temple so that their little family can be together for forever.

On Sunday, we visited June, a less active woman. She is super sweet! We had an enjoyable first visit with her. We also visited the Dobrusky’s. Sister Dobrusky opened up to us a lot. She talked about all of their family issues. We also visited the Swansons and talked to Sister Swanson about becoming worthy to enter the temple. She doesn’t think that she can go to the temple, but she is willing to try to work towards getting a recommend.

We also had a miracle happen on Sunday. There was this lady, Annie, who just recently got out of prison, at church.  She is not a member, but her dad is. He is very less active and has nothing to do with the church. Annie went to LDS services while she was in prison, and really liked them. We talked to her in Sunday School and Sister Pitkin asked her if she wanted to be baptized. She said yes! We are going to start teaching her on Wednesday. It’s amazing that Heavenly Father basically had an investigator fall out of the sky for us. He is truly blessing us! After we went home after church, Sister Pitkin and I were trying to figure out if this had actually happened or not, because stuff like this NEVER happens!

I hope that you are all doing well!

Love, Sister Bawden

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s